Saturday, July 23, 2011

Zucchini Cakes


I think it's safe to say that the zucchinis have won. Dan and I are officially sick of the stuff -- we've eaten zucchini in some form or another every single day this week. Roasted, mainly, but also sauteed, mixed in with scrambled eggs, and cut into strips for fries. These zucchini cakes were a last ditch effort to keep the fruits of last weekend's labor from going to waste, but there's still one gigantic squash left. Thankfully, my parents were happy to take that off our hands before it started festering in a dark corner of my fridge.


Tired as I am of zucchini, these cakes were still pretty tasty. Kind of like crab cakes, only filled with zucchini instead of crab meat. I seasoned them with Adobo spices for a little zest, and that helped temper the intense zucchini flavor. If I weren't so zucchini'd out, I would actually really be a huge fan of these -- they're tender, flavorful, and relatively healthy. Definitely a great way to allow zucchini to be the star of the dish.

Zucchini Cakes (Adapted from The Life's Ambrosia's recipe)

Ingredients:
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Adobo spices
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Steps:
(1) Remove excess liquid from freshly grated zucchini by placing them between paper towels and squeezing.
** There will be a LOT of excess liquid, so I suggest you squeeze over the sink.
(2) In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
(3) Heat a large pan on medium, and spray with Pam. Shape spoonfuls of the zucchini batter into 2-inch (diameter) patties, and drop onto the sizzling pan. Cook each side for about a minute and a half, or until the outside is golden brown.
(4) Finish the cakes off in the oven -- stick them on a baking pan and broil them for 1-2 minutes.
** Note: I skipped this step when I made my cakes, so the sides were still kind of soft -- not really a problem in terms of taste, but if you want a nice crust to form on the sides too, finishing them off in the oven should do the trick.
(5) Serve hot, alone or with ranch dressing.

** Hey! These cakes caught the attention of Glamour Magazine! **

20 comments:

Corina said...

These look gorgeous. I love zucchini but my husband isn't keen so I have to make zucchini dishes for one when he is out!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

These are beautiful

justputzing said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is perfect! I have so many zucchini at home and no ideas of what to do with them! I've been making a lot of things with zucchini in them, but nothing that features zucchini.

Deborah Dowd said...

How perfect! A great use for the bumper crop of zucchini!

Why Just Eat said...

These look delicious, and I'm betting I could get my 5 year old to eat them :)

Lisa (this litttle piggy) said...

They look really tasty. Am a bit over zucchini myself but would try making these.

Maggie @MaggieCooks said...

I first saw this on Giada de laurentiis, your version looks so good, but im intrigued about them, Can't wait to try them! Pretty pictures :D

createwithmom said...

lovely site pancakes look delicious

Abundantyogi said...

It is a good vegetarian dish.
For gluten-free diet,I am going to try rolled oats instead of panko.

Eat Love and Pray.
I am proud of you, Tina!!!

Juliana (Leslie's mom )

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

These look so delicious! New follower! xoxo

alyce said...

I love zucchini cakes!

Sam said...

Congrats on the fashionable link! Well on your way to glamour, fame, and fortune. I can say that I knew you when...

Whenever I see zucchini cakes I think of the recipe in Amy Sedaris's cookbook. It says something like "after you think you have squeezed out all the water, keep on squeezing, because I can promise you, you didn't."

Kelly Leigh said...

Thanks for the recipe! We too have tons of zucchini and I based dinner off this tonight, except I added feta and sun dried tomatoes! Sooo good. Thanks again!

justputzing said...

Thanks, everyone!

@Juliana: Let me know how the rolled oats taste in the cakes. Sounds intriguing!

@Sam: I squeezed FOREVER. Who knew zucchinis had so much water in them? I basically went through 3 paper towels' worth and then gave up.

@Kelly Leigh: That sounds really good! I love feta! I bet goat cheese would be a good substitute too.

Digital Printing said...

This has always been a favorite at our house. Even the children like it! I always buy Zucchini and store it in our kitchen. I suggest that you add some whipped cream

Anonymous said...

We have been sharing in our neighbor's bumper crop of zucchini and I love this idea for a yummy tasty zucchini dish! That feta idea sounds amazing as well, I may make a tzatziki type dressing to go along with this!!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Hello my new blogger buddy... just wanted to let you know I loved this recipe. i made it over the weekend and posted my version (with lots of link backs to you).

http://erecipecards.blogspot.com/2011/08/hello-again-my-friends-old-and-new.html

Terrific post!

April said...

Looks yummy! I wish there was a way to connect all of the people with too much zucchini with the people who would like to have some!

Frugally Green Mom

Lisa said...

I came from Pinterest and I tried this recipe tonight and I loved it! Thanks!

I will definitely repost this!